New season pears are available now, I used Conference pears for this recipe which is a sort of cross between a cake and a biscuit – it’s spongy and crisp at the same time!
55g/2oz hazelnuts – roasted, skins removed and ground
3/4 tsp baking powder
170g/6oz soft light brown sugar
2 large eggs
400g/14oz pears – peeled, cored and cut into pieces.
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp light soft brown sugar
juice of 1 lemon
110g/4oz icing sugar
- Set the oven to 180C/gas4
- Grease and line a 20cm/8″ square cake tin with non stick baking parchment.
- Measure the flour and baking powder into a bowl
- Melt the butter in a microwave or in a pot on the stove. Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar followed by the eggs and beat to combine. Fold this mixture into the flour.
- Spoon half of the mixture into the cake tin and level with the back of a spoon.
- Mix the pear pieces with the cinnamon, 1 tbsp sugar and 1/2 the lemon juice. Spread over the cake mix in the cake tin.
- Dot the remaining cake mix over the top of the pears, put into the oven and bake for 45 min.
- Once the time is up, remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin.
- Mix the remaining lemon juice with the icing sugar to form a runny icing. Once the cake is cool, drizzle the icing over the cake, cut into squares and serve.