This is a great soup – full of flavour, rich and warming for cold winter days if you blitz it with a hand blender and serve. If you prefer a smooth soup, pass it through a sieve or mouli to take out the bits and serve either hot or cold.
2 tins peeled plum tomatoes
1 tin coconut milk
2 medium red onions
1 red chilli or to taste
1 1/2 tbsp freshly grated root ginger
1 clove garlic – finely sliced
2 tbsp soft brown sugar
2 tbsp fish sauce
good bunch fresh basil
- Cut the onions and fresh tomatoes into wedges, spread out onto a baking tray, sprinkle over the garlic, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast at 200C/400F/Gas6 for 20 – 30min.
- In a pan, cook the ginger, chili and basil for a few minutes. Add the tinned tomatoes and coconut milk. Simmer for 5 min with the lid on, then turn the heat off and allow the contents to infuse until the roasted tomatoes and onions are ready.
- Once the roasted tomatoes and onions have become slightly charred round the edges, remove from the oven and tip into the pot with the other ingredients.
- Bring the pot back to a simmer, add the sugar and fish sauce. Blend with a hand blender and adjust the seasoning.
- Pass through a sieve or mouli if you would like a smooth soup.