Mild, sweet red onions grow well in my garden, but they never seem to keep for very long. They make delicious tarts and soups. The purple colour also adds interest to a dish.
Serves 5 – 6
700g red onions – about 6 medium sized ones
150ml half fat creme fraiche
1 tsbsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Set the oven to 200C/400F/Gas6
- Line and bake blind an 8″/20cm tart dish
- Thinly slice the onions, melt the butter in a good sized pan, add the onions slices and cook gently until softened.
- Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper and stir through the parsley and thyme. Allow to cool a bit.
- Beat the creme fraiche with eggs together.
- Once the onions are cool, mix with the eggs and creme fraiche.
- Pour int the pastry case and reduce the oven to 180C/350F/Gas5
- Cook the tart for around 25 min or until set and beginning to colour.