Sweet potatoes make great soup, they have a lovely colour, contain twice as much fiber as potatoes and are a rich source of vitamin B6, potassium, Vitamin A and manganese. All nutrients which keep your heart, arteries skin and general body in balance.
Red onions are a great source of flavonoids – anti oxidants found in their red colour. As well as having lots of minerals and vitamins to keep your immune system healthy, onions contain organosulphars which may offer protection to some cancers.
Red Onion and Sweet Potato Soup
3 red onions
4 small sweet potatoes – about 700g
1 red chilli
2 cloves garlic – with the skin on
1 can coconut milk
500ml chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 tsp fresh thyme
4 sage leaves
drizzle of rapeseed oil
salt and pepper
- Set the oven to 220C/450F/Gas7
- Put the vegetables, garlic and sage into a roasting tin, drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper, then roast for 30 min.
- Remove from the oven, slip the skins off the garlic cloves and tip everything into a large pan.
- Add the stock and coconut milk, bring to the boil and add the thyme.
- Whizz with a stick blender until smooth, check for seasoning and serve.