Vegetable Rosti with Poached Eggs
200g floury potatoes – Maris Piper, Desiree, Rooster…
100g mixed root vegetables – carrot, parsnip, turnip, celeriac
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tsp chopped rosemary or thyme
Salt & pepper
Drizzle of oil
Eggs – hens or ducks, 1 or 2 each depending on appetite
15g butter mixed with 1 tsp mixed fresh herbs – parsley, chives, thyme, sage, tarragon.
- Coarsely grate the potatoes, put into a cloth and squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- Coarsely grate the root vegetables and mix with the potato, adding salt, pepper & herbs.
- Heat the butter and oil in a heavy based frying pan, take a 10cm cutter or ring and place it in the frying pan. Divide the vegetable mixture in two and when the butter is foaming, press half the mix into the ring. Press down well, then carefully remove the ring. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Cook gently on a medium heat for approx. 5 min turn with a fish slice or spatula and cook for another 5 min.
- While the rosti is cooking, heat a large, shallow pan of water, add a splash of vinegar and once the water is at a fast simmer, poach the eggs. Large hens eggs take about 2 min, duck eggs 3 min.
- Once everything is ready, place the rosti on plates, lift the poached eggs from the water with a slotted spoon and drain well. Place on top of the rosti and dot with a little of the herb butter to serve.