With a glut of Courgettes, the best way of using them I have found is to make them into cake. This one is flavoured with Cardamom and topped with a butter and lemon curd icing. I have used a mixture of spelt and gluten free flour to make the cake a bit lighter, you could use wholemeal flour and self raising wheat flour, or all gluten free flour if you like.
2tbsp runny honey
200ml sunflower oil
3 large eggs
1tsp ground Cardamom – freshly ground if possible
1/2 tsp salt
100g wholegrain spelt flour
50g gluten free self raising flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
350g Courgettes – finely grated, squeeze out the juice once you have grated them.
125g desiccated coconut
- Set the oven to 180C/Gas5. Grease and line an 8″/20cm cake tin.
- Beat the eggs and oil together until thick, add the sugar and honey and beat again.
- Add the flours, baking powder and spice and stir until combined.
- Stir in the Courgette, coconut and raisins.
- Pour into the cake tin and bake for 45min to 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
50g soft butter
150g icing sugar
Rind of 1 lemon
2tbsp lemon curd
Beat everything together until smooth, spread over the top of the cake once it is cool.